How to Find the Right Inspection for Your Industrial EquipmentJanuary 2, 2017
API TestingFebruary 20, 2018
Why inspections are so important with oil and gas piping
There are over 2 million miles of pipeline throughout the U.S. It is crucial they be inspected to prevent severe problems.
It’s no secret that the United States has the largest energy pipeline network in the world. With that being said, oil and gas piping failure can result in billions of dollars and critical environmental consequences that can obviously do more harm than good for the country, not to mention the safety issues involved with any leak. It is vital these pipelines be inspected often in order to prevent these severe problems.
When you contact CODE STEEL we’ll make sure to perform inspections on:
- Piping that is connected and used to convert raw material into products throughout a facility. A failure in one or more of the pipes in this process can be catastrophic to the business and result in damaged property and even loss of life.
- A key factor in the flow system. If there is blockage, erosion or corrosion in a pipe, then nothing will flow through and the work will cease.
- One of the tests that are essential in a pipeline is Ultrasonic Testing (this depends on the type of weld). This testing concentrates on subsurface, but can also detect surface issues as well. UT testing is done to inspect corrosion, cracking, erosion, lack of fusion, etc. This test uses a high-frequency sound wave through the exterior of the pipe material and reflects the sound wave from the interior surface in order to measure the wall thickness and full penetration welds. It is nondestructive and keeps you from cutting the pipe for inspection.
- Another testing that can be used in combination or individually is Dye Penetrant Testing. A very effective method for discovering issues on the surface.
- Magnetic Particle Testing concentrates on the surface and barely below surface issues.
At CODE STEEL, we make sure to inspect oil and gas piping to the best of our ability, per specification We are willing to go above and beyond to make sure your pipes are up to CODE.